At some point in January Instagram made the best following suggestion ever when it brought me to a user named shutthekaleup. There were only a few snaps to look through at that point, but still, I knew I had found someone special. A yoga instructor on the west coast and health enthusiast, I was instantly drawn to Jeannette’s humor, honesty, and frankly, her taste in food (i.e. Pressed + Justin’s). In such a short matter of time, Jeannette has built something very special and it’s immensely excited to see what she’ll do next!
1. How did you come up with #shutthekaleup? It’s so clever! I wanted to come up with something catchy. It honestly took me a good week to finally land on something I really liked. One night I was on the couch and yelled, “shutthekaleup!” and immediately knew that was it.
2. One of the many unique things about what you do is that you’re not a blogger, you’re entire online following is based on Instagram. Is this something you set out to do, or was it an evolution? And HUGE congrats on hitting the 10k mark (in under 6 months!)—what was that like? Thank you so much! I didn’t think much of it to be honest. I just wanted to show people that balance is the key to a healthy lifestyle. I never expected to get any following let alone reach 10k in such a short amount of time. I’m just grateful for my followers and everyone that has helped me along the way. A blog/website is something that I’m working on at the moment. Stay tuned!
3. You’re honest and unapologetic about your food/eating habits—how did you develop such a healthy relationship? About a year and a half ago, I had an eating disorder. I used to starve then binge, starve then binge. I was on every diet/juice cleanse you can think of but I’d always go back to unhealthy eating habits. I never knew what balance meant. After being laid off from a job of 7 years, it was like all bandages were off. I got into teacher training for yoga sculpt and didn’t look back. Fast forward to today – I have found balance and confidence in myself, something I never thought was possible.
4. When you’re not teaching, spending time with family, or just generally kicking ass, what do you enjoy doing? I enjoy hiking and traveling ANYWHERE. Seeing the world is something I’m very passionate about.. Especially if there’s good food involved.
5. What’s one thing that your followers might be surprised to find out about you? All I want after a long day, isn’t the gym.. it isn’t to go hiking or eat dinner at True Food Kitchen (one of my favorite restaurants in this whole world). A perfect night to me is as follows :
1. Yoga Pants ✔️
2. Snacks (ALL the snacks) ✔️
3. Netflix ✔️